Monday, November 19, 2007

The heart of everything...

...is what Wikipedia tells me "Kokoro"'s literal translation is, so Son of Rust's "Heart of Everything mix" is the actual title of this, not just "Son of Rust's heart" like the player claims.

Anyway... I promise all you industrial lovin' vampire freaks that I'll get back to the darker stuff next post, but here's another club-anthem type number. This one's a club remix of everyone's favorite chinatown dance-rock band, The Slants.

The timeline of this mix goes something like this:
1. I was in the Slants' studio helping with the recording of their first album, and Michael's working on this song "Kokoro". Simon comes in and I says to Simon in my best british accent, I says to him "That's a number one record." and he looks at me and goes "What?" and I say, "that, um, that hook is really good."
2. Then I forgot all about it.
3. Then I'm sitting in a stark flourescent-lit conference room in LA listening to Bobby Borg talk about how to market a band and I'm ticking off all his major points on my fingers by going "The Slants do that, the Slants do that, the Slants do that too." Meanwhile about half a mile away The Slants are playing a massive anime convention, drinking free Makers in the penthouse suite green room, and Michael drunkenly texts me "You should do a dance remix of Kokoro!". I'm picturing him dancing to a club song with four beautiful asian girls in Sailor Moon outfits and contemplating throwing myself in front of bus.
4. I went home from the convention and wrote this remix.

I just want to point out that the line "Do you want to sell my guts?" has got to be the weirdest lyric I've ever heard in a pop song. Hence, I couldn't resist starkly highlighting it halfway through the remix.

I'm fairly certain this is the best club song I've written, but I also highly recommend you check out the original before I got my grubby little hands on it over on the Slants page at www.myspace.com/theslants . Marketing's not the only reason they're popular, they're also excellent musicians.

Next post, something fresh!

11 comments:

Geoff said...

You know, when we were sitting in the Tonic, I couldn't really picture it as a dance track. I could picture you remixing it, but not the dance aspect - given that it's more of a down-tempo piece. Well, you succeeded in spades.

Kii said...

I absolutely love this! ^^ I'm now listening to your other tracks as well. Your great!

Anonymous said...

this is absolutely fucking ace!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gaijin from The Slants here... Fucking brilliant remix, Justin! Very well done... ^__^

Anonymous said...

Man, you must be out to permanently
foil my natural negative tendencies....Once again, brilliant work! :)

Simon Tam said...

Great job on this, really brings out the flavor of the song in a danceable kind of way.

Anonymous said...

great job justin. The track kicks ass. :) I prefer it better than the original...

I'm looking forward to your dark side... I just hope that vocal distortion isn't the prime ingrediant.

Anonymous said...

i rub one out every time i listen to it.

Anonymous said...

your slants kokoro remix is unbelievably good. I must played it over 15x straight already. I can't wait to download it.

Anonymous said...

I think remxing Slants' songs should be a new career path for you

Cory Poole said...

Very Nice Track.
I've already listened to it a few times back to back and I have started emailing others to listen to it.
I also think the slants fit the geek rock mold quite well. Now we just need a fun dance track about hard drives and cat 5 cable. Won't that be fun!