Monday, May 19, 2008

oonst oonst oonst!

When I first started writing music my teacher at the time suggested that the best way to learn theory was by transcribing songs that I enjoyed at the time, meaning: listen to a track you like and dissect it piece by piece. This wasn't an easy process for me at the start, but I soon realized that every song was in the key of a-minor, so that made it a little easier. Of course, I just happened to be choosing songs because I liked the sound of a-minor, but I didn't know that. At the time I thought EVERY pop / electro song was in a-minor.

I did eventually learn better, but the first Son of Rust / Vermillion albums (for those of you who are OLD school) were written mostly in a-minor. Ben and Michael's joke around the rehearsal studio at the time was that it'd be easy to sign on a guitar / bass player 'cause they'd only have to know three chords, Am-F-G-Am. Yeah, hardy-har-har.

Ever since then I've been attempting to avoid a-minor as I feel like I've kind of done it to death, but man, does it ever feel good to just lay down good old Am-F-G-Am again and just effing go for it. Ahhhhhhhh... it's like crack after not having done crack for like, a while... I don't really know what that feels like but I'm guessing it's exactly the same.

So my point is that this song is in a-minor again.

In case you haven't lost interest yet I'll carry on and say that I have another weird addiction that pops up every now and again to write cheesy club songs. This is a total cheese-ball club song. I have no idea why I do this (because I can never quite get them RIGHT, you know?) but I keep on doing it and it feels good so go @%#@ if you don't like it.

Next week I've got a just effing SICK cover of an Iris track that I did for the sheer hell of it for you, I think you're gonna like it.... because I know exactly what you like, whoever you are. I'm inside you're brain! HAHAHA!

Excuse me, I think somebody put something in my coffee. And if they didn't I'm going to go put something in my coffee. See you next time.

4 comments:

Skidoodilybop said...

"Good old oughts, sounding all stupid... oughts oughts oughts!"

I happen to like cheeseball club songs, and think this one is pretty rockin'! I only wish the vocals were a little louder compared to all that heavy fump-thumping of sheer awesomeness, but then it wouldn't be a proper cheeseball club song would it? I do love the distortions, though! Totally sexy robot midnight love afair.

Do they keep their mechanical sox on, in the heat of it all?

Time to listen to it again (turned up) and finally get revenge on my evil neighbor who blasts her music at ungodly hours. Rock on (and thank you for the awesome beats)!

...now where'd I put my glowsticks and X?

Geoff said...

I'm sporting midnight wood.

Seriously, it's midnight.

And I have wood.

I can pay no higher compliment.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Geoff
Great song, I was waiting for a dark & sexy song from you... in a non-gay way

Unknown said...

I actually wish I still had my copy of 12:01, I got it back in the day when we where still in high school together, and then my brother stole it and I never saw it again. I actuly have a cd I need to look at and see if I have any of your Old tracks that I downloaded that I saved to zip disks.
I hope everything keeps working out, you have come quite a ways sense high school and playing around with a tracker when we got the Gravis Ultra Sound installed.