Thursday, September 27, 2007

The more you know.

This week's track is more of an experiment in using some new tech then art, but despite having started work on it just yesterday I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

I'm doing a few things here that I've never really done before.... the first is using a vocoder for 99% of the vocals. I finally have a vocoder that's not a free shareware download that sounds like a toaster vomiting, so I thought I'd spend some time on figuring out how to make it sound pro. You tell me if I pulled it off. Vocoders are about 1000x more complicated than I thought they would be, and are hard as hell to get sounding right.

The other thing I'm doing is what's called "Sidechain compression", and apparently every DJ, producer, electronic musician and bum living in the park has heard of this except me. Ready for a lesson? Well, it's coming anyway.

"Sidechain" compression is used to create an effect called "ducking". "Ducking" is a method of isolating a kick drum that is used in virtually every track intended for a dance floor since the early 1990's. I believe Daft Punk was the first band to try it. What it does is take a carrier wave (say, a kick drum), and then drops the volume of everything else in the song when that carrier is happening. This causes whatever you're "ducking" to suddenly pop out of the mix regardless of what else is going on. This is how people make those huge KICK KICK KICK KICK's that never drop out even when the song gets really busy, and is something I really wish I'd taken the time to learn before I published the album, as it's pretty fucking handy. Ben actually mentioned it to me a year ago and I just chalked it up to more crazy Ben talk, like all his rambling about "particle physics" and "string theory" and all that other made up nonsense.

This song is basically a total rip off of various Necessary Response / Aesthetic Perfection tracks, but hell, I had 10 hours. Sue me.

The incredibly deep lyrics that I typed out in 15 minutes, if anyone cares, are:

it's been a thousand years
since I've
become this machine
time is god's
weapon poised to
strike
ruin everything
you are his
synthesizer
playing
divine apathy
I'd sell
a thousand souls
if I
could feel anything

time
is the great destroyer
exterminating
everything
time
is the equalizer
exterminating
everything

you
are reduced to nothing
just like everything that came before
ash to ash and dust to dust
no kinder meaning
no faith restored

laugh while
you can still take breath
the clock will have it in the end
no kinder meaning
no faith restored
the ground our last and final friend

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Like it! N.R. doesn't so much use the vocoder like A.P. does, and Jason told me he saw video of Daniel(A.P.)on stage using it and that it looked really ugly. Did you make this song in front of a mirror? And if so, did you notice a decrease in your over all attractiveness?
Also, I thought the lyrics were very impressive. If I had 15 minutes to write a song it'd be about what my last fart smelled like rhymed with observations concerning whatever pet just walked by.

Reba :)

Geoff said...

Very cool track. As per usual. I'm sure you're parietal lobe is already swollen with my ego-fellatio.

Um...ew...

Anyway.

Yeah, well done.

As to the lyrics?

I could've done them in ten. Just sayin'.

Bwahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

This is so fucking badass! I heard your stuff on vampirefreaks and had to check this out. The stuff you've done so far is cool, but this song absolutely ROCKS IT. 10 hours????? I dont fu@#%#%#@^$ believe it. You are gunna be huge!!!

Miss Cartier said...

Oh god, I hate it when my toaster vomits.

Miss Cartier said...

I was finally able to listen to this song. Ahem. MORE OF THAT PLEASE!!